Self

Is there anything called a "selfless act"? Don't we all do something for others or help out someone because it makes us feel good? Gives us a sense of satisfaction?

Many years ago, when I was in college I was browsing tv channels, and I casually stopped to hear a lady in a white saree (I know now that it was B.K.Shivani) say these words "don't ever say that I am doing this for you to anyone, because, you are doing something for another person ONLY because it is making you feel good". And that stuck in my head. So true right? Are we living in an illusion that we are doing something for others to please them, whereas in reality we help others to make ourselves look good? Isn't it a feel good factor? Does it make us feel less guilty about enjoying the good things we have that others don't have? I am definitely not undermining the goodness behind serving/helping others. It is a great asset in anyone to be compassionate towards others and to help out. But let us retrospect :)



2 comments:

  1. We are all messengers of God.He is the one who makes us do.So He is the doer not us.Its only our ego that speaks when we say "we do".Nice topic to look within us and think and believe strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very insightful. It's true in most cases. There were certainly many instances where I did not want to help at all.... & Still had to help that person! 😅
    I would say that is what the world is all about.
    "Jeevo Jeevasya Jeevanadha"

    ReplyDelete