Perfect

I have been wondering about this obsession of being perfect. Obsession is a strong word, and I am saying this because there is this need for being perfect at every stage, every phase, every thing we do. In small ways and big ways. And this craving for perfection has been eating us up. Yes, perfection is essential in many fields, otherwise nothing will function. But I am talking about the subtle ones that we take upon ourselves and define our life based on whether we are able to achieve it or not.

Here is an example - being a Sunday, I woke up and just sat out not doing anything. I sat not being able to get myself to unroll my yoga mat. After a long time, started doing Surya Namaskara. My obsession with numbers took over me and I wanted to do 100 Surya Namaskaras. But I could get myself to do only 50 and ended with meditation. Earlier I would have been not so happy with not doing the PERFECT 108 number. But I told myself it is ok. Things like this happen everyday, every hour right? The day my kids eat veggies, I feel they have eaten a perfect meal, the day there is 100% participation we might feel it was a perfect meeting, the day when our house is clean and tidy we may feel it is a perfect house, the day I complete all my todo tasks I may feel a perfect day - there can be no end to our perfectness! 

A perfect person, a perfect situation, a perfect body, a perfect job, a perfect partner, a perfect friend, a perfect child, a perfect parent, a perfect trip, a perfect flower, a perfect workout - am sure at some point in life, all of us have wondered about this "perfect" ness or ism, isn't it? 

There is nothing wrong in aiming to be good at something. But the minute we tell ourselves this is perfect or I am perfect or someone is perfect or something is perfect - 2 things can happen - one is we might tell ourselves there is nothing more to learn or do here, another thing is a certain kind of superiority/inferiority may kick in (superiority if we think we are perfect or what we have done is perfect and inferiority if we think someone else is perfect). 

We will never be able to enjoy every moment of this journey if we are always aiming for something in the future. Instead if we are not looking at how the end result might turn out, we will give our 100% in everything we do and can still be content!


Trying to get a perfect sunrise picture :)))


I was happy just to see sunrise after many months :)


Full moon


Life is telling us Everything Is Perfect Exactly The Way It Is Now


4 comments:

  1. Aim at perfection but not feel that we are perfect.Being imperfect drives us to do better and better whereas thinking that we are perfect stagnates us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing whatever we set out to do with diligence and passion will give us satisfaction.
    I think thats the ‘perfect’ moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely no clue why I sound like I am talking to my teen!
    saying the same thing multiple times 😂😂😂😂
    Apologies for the clutter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! There’s nothing interesting left if one reaches perfection

    ReplyDelete