The Magic of Learning and Relearning

We know we are not ok, when the uplifting posts on social media or messages from loved ones that are supposed to motivate or cheer us make us feel even lower. We know we are not ok when we do not do the things that we know for sure cheer us. I am just giving random examples here, but we know when we are not ok. And it is ok to feel low, be sad, dull, let all the emotions pass through us. But it is equally important to bounce back. For how long can we be remorse, because honestly sadness and low energy are contagious. And the least we can do to help others is not lower their energy. 


It is a tough phase for EVERYONE in this world. And when our close friends and family members are going through a hard time, the least we can do is to cheer them up (if possible). Very few of us are able to help others physically in the current scenario. And that adds to the helplessness. But to even be there for others emotionally, we first have to be in a good state. 


I was in a rut this week and this time I did not fight it. I just let it flow through me, but it was not easy. I had to snap out. And luckily for me exercising does the trick. Even though I knew the trick, I had not been able to get myself to exercise since few days. Finally yesterday morning I just stood on my yoga mat, and started moving. And I added a new exercise to my routine. So what this new exercise did was it made me concentrate as I was doing it for the first time after I learnt. And because I was concentrating, my mind was active. And yes I finished one hour of my exercise and I felt normal again. 


I realized that learning a new thing helps activate our mind which is so essential to keep us going. For example, we cook daily which can be monotonous and boring, but the day we decide to try a new recipe, our mind becomes active - finding the new recipe, figuring out the ingredients, making sure we are adding the correct proportions etc. This is exactly similar to every single thing in our life. We do not have to go learn a new subject from college. It can be as simple as trying a new asana in yoga or a new place to run (I started running inside the house with my kids and got my running thirst quenched 😉), or learning a new song or learning about any new topic of our interest. It could be anything as long as it makes us feel good. 


IT IS ALL IN THE MIND!!


Let us take care of ourselves (without feeling guilty!) so that we can take care of others (emotionally/mentally/physically). 


Here's to a healthy world and to healing everyone! 



My happy place


Growing new plants and watching them grow every single millimeter everyday


My 15 year old pepper crusher that makes me smile everytime I use 


Learning to draw and color


3 comments:

  1. Hope this period of trial ends soon for all of us.Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s real nice! We will overcome this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This captures the 'constant going under water and then emerging with our heads above water' experiences and spirit we all need so well, Ramya. Stay afloat, best wishes for everyone to stay safe

    ReplyDelete