The Joy of Parenting

So many thoughts in my head, so many things to write about. But finally what am I going to type. There is always so many things to do, by the time I get to sit in front of the laptop (which is usually once a week when I visit my mom's house, and that too after 11.30pm), I just end up opening facebook :) I am staying for more than one night this time at mom's and hence the attempt at writing. 

It is 12.15 am, and the kids are sleeping. I don't know when my lil one will wake up. She needs her mom or dad in the middle of the night, and no one else can stop her from crying. 

Everyone knows that parenting changes one's life. Parenting one child changes a couple's life. Parenting 2 kids again changes the couple's life and the life of the first child. And mind you, 1 + 1 is definitely not = 2. I am a very happy mom of 2 angels now. And everyday I learn something new about parenting, either from a friend or a older relative or thru online resources or just from my own experience.  

As we all know, there is no set rule for parenting! And as the kids get older, there are new things to deal with. Children are very very sensitive. I am not referring to the sensitive nature here. They are like a huge sponge ball where they keep soaking more and more from the outside world. They observe everything they see and don't see. Everything is new to them, everything they see and hear, they believe to be true. There are sooo many theories about everything related to parenting. In the end, one has to choose their own style and do what they feel is the best for a child. 

I am tempted to write many posts about this topic called parenting. I would like to write how we are raising our kids. But I don't think it is necessary, mainly because, I feel each parent has to come up with their own style of parenting. As I mentioned before, there is no set rule for anything! 

One thing that every parent should realize is that from day 1, we have to treat our kid as an individual. Of course, they are dependent on us for certain things. But THEY ARE NOT OUR PROPERTY. He/she has likes/dislikes, interests/disinterests, strengths/weaknesses from a very young age before he/she even turns one. As parents, we should be able to identify these and help them grow, help them understand. We need to respect our kids. How long does scolding a child or forcing them to do something they don't want to, work, compared to reasoning out with them? Both the parent and the child will get tired of scolding and getting scolded after a while and the kid may start fearing the parent or stop trusting the parent eventually. Does any parent want their child to be scared of them? Reasoning out may not work the first time, second time or many times, but eventually the kid will understand if we are talking to them calmly every time. Our kids will share and come to us when they are in trouble if they consider us their friends. Of course, there will be times when as a parent we have to be firm about certain things, but making sure we explain to the kids will help. 

I always believed that for any relation to work, COMMUNICATION is the key. Having an open conversation can solve most problems between two individuals. The same holds good between a parent and a child. Honest communication! 

That was just my two cents :) Let us enjoy parenthood, let us sail thru this journey happily :) Kids grow up so fast, let us cherish every phase of their growth :) Let their innocence rub off on us and let us laugh and play with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment